Friday, July 23, 2004

Friday, July 23 - Bossey, Switzerland to Dole, France

RIDE PROFILE: Bossey to Dole . Ride 140 km. Hills and flat. Morning ride with amazing views of Switzerland and Lake Leman as we switchback up the climb to Col de la Grivine Afternoon downhill rolling and flats across the Bresse Plaine give us a chance to spin out our legs from the previous days' efforts.

THE DAY:

After two days of not riding well, I was aching to get out on the bike today and remind myself that I could ride a bike for more than 60-70K. Our guides asked me if I planned to skip the moring climbs and start after the Picnic Lunch. NO, I will be riding today! was m y reply.

The morning climb of the Col de la Grivine was long but gentle. We started out in the sun and heat and by the time I got to the top of the climb a storm was rolling in. I put on my rain jacket, ate a PowerBar and hoped for the best. What I got was thunder, lightening and pouring rain on a descent. Would France EVER cut me some slack? After only 30K on the bike, soaked to the bone and not too happy, the sag van picked me up and dropped myself and several other soaked Tour-mates at the picnic-lunch that had become pizza at a local restaurant. I sat with Jim and ate a mozzarella and olive pizza and waited for the sun to return. As soon as it did, I asked our guide Suzie for my bike back, I was getting back on the bike! 85K later I rolled into Dole, France .. enjoying the sunshine, the scenery and just being back on the bike! Finally a day over 100K, redemption at last!

Dinner was in town in Dole on our own. We did well, we managed to find the restaurant that the locals loved and ate outside. Wonderful!



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?