Monday, July 19, 2004

Monday, July 19 - Annecy to Grenoble

RIDE PROFILE: Annecy (260) to Grenoble (519m). Ride distance 125 km.; 5 cols to climb, total elevation gain of 3000 meters. Optional 'soft' ride cuts out last 3 cols, distance is still 125km but with elevation gain of only 1040 meters. These cols are theatre of the Pro Race “Classique des Alpes” a day race that is used as a test for the Tour.

THE DAY:

Let our Tour begin! Jim and I immediately chose to do the soft version of this ride, our theory being that we both seem to gain fitness as our bike vacations progress and we wanted to give ourselves a fair chance at Col de Madeline and Col de Glandon later in the week. Of the 30 people on the trip, about half the group did the soft route and half the group did the 5 Cols.

In the morning we rode through the Montagne du Semnot and climbed the Cols of Leschaux (897m) and Plainpalais (1173m), It was on these Cols that I had my first opportunity to really try out my French conversational skills. On two separate occasions, I found myself chatting with some fellow male cyclists. Even with my handicap, Je parle un peu du Français (translation: I only speak a little French), we managed to discuss the weather (Il fait chaud: It's hot!), my destination (Grenoble by way of Chambrey), and warm wishes for a good ride! Those chats really made a difference in what was turning out to be some LONG SLOW climbing on my part.

The descents were the most technical descents I have ever experienced in my life. Switchbacks, hairpin turns and speed bumps through small French towns all while going downhill made for a harrowing experience. This was nothing like the fun I experience at home coming off SkyLine Drive. By the time I got to the bottom of the second descent I was physically exhausted and shaking. I was done riding for the day at 50K. I had the foresight to get off the bike before I was completely exhausted and miserable. I'd save those experiences for later in the trip. I spent the remainder of the day with Gabe (a tour guide) and Pat (a fellow Tour guest), riding in the support van getting to know them better, cheering our folks on, and watching the beautiful French country side go by. Jim rode the entire distance with a group of 6 or 7 riders and had a good day too.

Upon arrival in Grenoble, a bunch of us decided to seek out some sandwiches since there were 4 hours until dinner at 8PM. We wander down the main avenue in Grenoble searching for a Boucherie/Patessarie (Deli/Bread shop). After endless blocks we stopped in a local bar on the off chance they might serve sandwiches. After a lot of mixed communications, we were able to order 8 Ham and Cheese Baguettes and a few bottles of water. Jim and I managed to talk to a bar patron about the Tour, Lance Armstrong and Vokler. It was fun trying to chat a little and then we sat down and enjoyed sandwiches with our fellow Tour-mates and headed back to the hotel to shower before dinner.

Dinner was in town at Le Petit Paris. For our aperitifs, Jim tried the frog leg sausages and I tried the snails. Both were delicious. Main course, lamb for Jim and Pike in a crème sauce for me followed by some delicious deserts and accompanied by plenty of local wine and water! Every dinner was like this as we would come to find out. 2.5 - 3 hours with lots of food and drink served slowly so you could enjoy your company and the food. After a day in the sun on the bike with lots of climbing we were all ready for bed soon enough!



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?