Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Wednesday, July 21 - Col de Glandon & Col de la Croix de Fer

RIDE PROFILE : Grenoble (519m) to St. Jean de Maurienne (600 m). Ride: 105 km. and 1700 meters of climb We ride the Col du Glandon (1924m), scheduled on tomorrow's Tour de France stage, and then on to Col de la Croix de Fer (2030m) Descend into St. Jean de Maurienne where we stay at Hotel de l'Europe, known for hosting Tour de France teams for training sessions before the Tour!

THE DAY:

Today's goal was simply to do the best I could. I had no idea how I would handle climbing a CAT 1 Climb. I only knew that I had to give it a honest effort. Jim and I both were pretty “unnerved” in the morning only I wouldn't put that together until later. At the time I just though that he was grumpy, very unlike him. The mornings ride was some gentle climbs and flats into the town of Allemont, just passed the base of Alp d'Huez. Because today was the Time Trial there were hundred of cyclist coming from the opposite direction, heading towards Alp d”Huez. Knowing they were expecting upward of 900,000 spectators on Alp d”Huez, Iwas glad that we were riding instead of watching the stage today.

Less than 1K past the center of Allemont, the climb of the Col de Glandon begins. In places, the col reaches inclines of up to 12% but the average grade for the entire climb is 10%. I made it through the first 10K but not before running out of chain rings in the back. Whenever it became too much, I had no problems with getting off the bike and walking until the grade lessoned enough for me to get back on the bike. The irony was not lost on me that I could walk parts of the Col de Glandon faster that I could ride them. Between 8-10K into the climb, I began to develop a blister on my heel from walking in my bike shoes. I had to face reality. I could walk allot of the Col de Glandon and risk the blister getting bigger and not be able to ride for the next few days or I could end the day now and know that I tried my damnedest and live to ride another day. I chose the latter. The support vans were full of fellow Tour-mates who climbed as far as they could and several folks who chose not to ride at all that day, so I had plenty of company. Jim kicked the Col de Glandon and the Col de la Croix de Fers butt! Okay well it kicked his butt but he rode the entire day none the less! I am so proud of him!

The descent of the Col de la Croix de Fer was dizzying and dazzling in the van and from Jim's reports even more dizzying and dazzling on the bike. There were no guardrails and several switchback and hairpins as well as some tunnels to be wary of. Nevertheless, everybody made it safe off the Col and into Saint Jean De Maurrienne where we caught Armstrong's performance on Alp d'Huez live on tv. The whole group was a buzz at dinner with American pride and looking forward to seeing the Tour again tomorrow from Col de Madeline.

Dinner was at Hotel de l'Europe and was chicken and pasta It was great to have a classic post cycling meal after such a challenging day.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?